Search engine optimization is one of the most important components of a successful Internet marketing business, and the central element of successful search engine optimization is keyword research. You see, search engine optimization relies on keywords to get your site recognized by the search engines and by your targeted audience. If you are just getting into search engine optimization, then you are going to need to know how to do successful keyword research. With these tips, you can ensure that you are conducting successful keyword research.
- Figure out Your Targeted Audience. You need to make sure that you know who your targeted audience is in order to locate keywords that will appeal to them. If you aren’t using keywords that your targeted audience will likely search for, then there really is no point to using keyword research.
- Determine the Amount of Keywords you Want to Use. This depends on the size of your business. For example, if you have a small business and you are only selling a few products or services, then you may only need five to 10 keywords. If your business is bigger, then you may want to have more keywords.
- Come up with a List. Start out with a list of keywords that you think are pretty obvious. Get into the mind of your targeted audience. Think about what they would be searching for. These words and terms will be the starting point of your keyword research.
- Use Keyword Suggestion Tools. These tools have really made the art of keyword research a whole lot easier. Google has a great keyword suggestion tool; just type in a keyword in the search box and see what other keywords or terms Google suggests. This is a good resource for keywords.
- Check your Competitors. See what types of keywords your competitors are using. Modify your keywords based on the keywords your competitors are using. One of the biggest points of keyword research is to make sure that you stand out above your competition. Knowing what keywords your competitors are using will help to ensure the success of your business.
- Check your Ranking. Be diligent about checking your ranking. This will help to determine whether or not your keyword research is successful.
- Use Acronyms and Abbreviations. People often use acronyms and abbreviations when they are searching for a product or service on the Web. For example, people often use “SEO” when they are searching for search engine optimization, or “Xmas” for Christmas.
- Use the Plural and Singular. People often use plural and singular words when they are searching for products and services. For example, one person may search for “coffee machines” while another may search for a single “coffee machine.” Using both the plural and singular will expand your audience.
- Use Describing Words. Adjectives are commonly used when people search for products or services. For instance, people commonly search for the ‘best’ service or the ‘least’ expensive product.
- Refine your List of Keywords. After you have generated a list of potential keywords to use, you are going to want to refine your list. You likely won’t want to use all of the words that you find, because too many keywords may make things difficult for you. Use only the keywords that will certainly attract attention to your website and improve your search engine rankings.
With these tips and tricks, you can successfully conduct keyword research that will help to get your Web site a high ranking on the search engines and that will help to attract new clients to your business. Keyword research can really help to drive the success of your business.