There is a lot of discussion about whether or not a business should or should not optimize their PDF documents. Some say that doing so is a silly idea and that the files should just be converted to HTML and optimized from there, yet those who are in support of optimizing PDF files understand that many businesses do have a lot of PDF files, such as briefs, brochures, white papers or even a resume. Many of these businesses either just want to save the time and hassle of transferring these PDF files to HTML, or they just don’t have the money in their budget to do so. In my honest opinion, I believe that if a business wants to leave their files in PDF form, why not? They can absolutely optimize them in order to get them noticed by the search engines and get a higher ranking in the long run.
If you are interested in optimizing your PDF files, then here are a few tips that you can follow to help you do so:
- Ensure that the PDF files are text based. This is absolutely essential in order to optimize the files. I know it sounds silly to even say it, but sometimes logic slips out the window. If a PDF is not text based, how is a search engine supposed to read it?
- Optimize the content on the PDF file the same as you would for the content on a Web page. Make sure that you locate your keywords and target them in the content of your PDF file; use the keywords in the title, and make the content keyword rich.
- Use the keyword in the file name. Using the keyword to name the file will allow the word to show up in the URL of the file, which will get the file noticed by the search engines.
- Optimize the tags. Tag your PDF file just like you would an HTML file. Use alternate text for the tags that will help to make the file stand out and get it noticed by the search engines.
- Create links in your PDF files. Search engines will recognize any links that you add to your PDF file, which will help to increase the ranking of your site.
You don’t have to transfer everything to HTML in order to optimize your Web site; with these easy tips, you can leave files in PDF form, optimize them and get them noticed by the search engines.